Sunday, January 13, 2013

chili... now that it's not so chilly

This is Boston, right? Where it's supposed to be cold? Not 50 degrees in the winter. So strange.

So usually I cook up this chipotle turkey chili but I wanted to go the traditional route this time around. So I did a little research and found a recipe on my trusty All Recipes that I pulled spices from and then threw in the extras... beans, meat, tomatoes, corn, etc. 

One day, I'll be able to just throw all these things together like my mama. Until then, I rely on phone calls home and the internet. Unfortunately, my mom's big on "just a little of this" and "a dash of that" and "maybe a cup...or two, of this" and that's just hard to follow. One day. One day, I'll be there. 


So cornbread. It's taken me a while to find a recipe that I love and I think I've finally got it. The only thing I changed up was to add greek yogurt to my sour cream (b/c I didn't have enough) and I used about 1/2 cup sugar b/c we like our cornbread a little sweeter. 


Chili and cornbread perfection is found here. 

Like a dummy, I used what was left of my sour cream for this delish cornbread and didn't have any for chili toppings. If you've never had sour cream on your chili you should try that out. So all we had this time around was some shredded cheddar cheese.

Do you have a favorite chili and cornbread combo? Or a secret  ingredient that you want to share?


2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy! I might have to try this on our next chilly evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm like your mom. You could NEVER follow my chili recipe....cuz I don't have one. But I do have a secret for good cornbread. Two actually. The best cornbread is made in a well seasoned cast iron skillet...you have to get one I know I've already told you that;-) The second, add your oil to your skillet and stick it in the oven as it preheats...if your recipe doesn't call for oil, add a few tbsp anyway...trust me. Then after you've mixed all the ingredients but the oil, take that skillet and hot oil, pour the oil in the mixture, mix, and pour back into the skillet. It gives it that nice crust and texture that you get anytime you eat a piece of REAL SOUTHERN MADE cornbread;-)

    ReplyDelete